Sunday, July 11 - Saturday, July 17, 2021This weeklong, in-residence dance program is geared toward dancers ages 12-18 interested in furthering their dance training. The faculty includes current WVU Dance Program instructors as well as guest artists. The program will offer dance technique classes, classes in wellness and conditioning and other movement related classes. It is required that applicants have at least 3 years of prior dance experience to be eligible for registration to the Teen Academy. A student showcase is scheduled for the last day. Students are encouraged to bring a dance from their home studio/school that they wish to present and share at the showcase. A one-on-one performance coaching session with SDA faculty will be offered to each student performer. The final showcase will also include original work by faculty created on the students during the week. Due to current Covid protocols it is unknown if the showcase will be open to the public. The presentation will take place pin the Clay Theatre at Creative Arts Center and is scheduled to be free and open to the public. Further details about audience limitations for this event will be announced as soon as they are made available.
Lodging and Meals
Lincoln Hall / Evansdale Residential Complex
Covid 19 Protocols
- Arrival and check-in will be scheduled per each participant to avoid overcrowding in the dorm lobby. Please contact our main office to schedule your arrival and check-in time.
- It is required that all participants get tested for Covid 19 at least 72 hours prior to arrival. Please have proof of test results to be presented upon arrival.
- Each student who chooses to reside on campus, will have their own room at the rate of a double occupancy rate.
- Lincoln Hall offers rooms that share one full bathroom between two rooms (one bathroom per 2 residents).
- All participants who choose to reside on campus will be subject to WVU Covid protocols.
- Social distancing, sanitizing, and face masks will be required in all public areas and during large group gatherings.
- All participants will always be accompanied by WVU Dance Program dance majors who have been especially selected as counselors for this summer program.
- In case a participant gets sick (Covid related or not) or injured and is required to leave the program, parents/guardians will be notified immediately.
- Each participant is asked to bring extra face masks for use during the week
- Each participant is asked to have their own hand sanitizer with them at all times. It is recommended to have extra in their room.
Technique Classes, Rehearsals and Specialty Classes Location
Daily Technique Classes:
Ballet; Modern; Jazz; Contemporary; Choreography & Improvisation; Tap; Yoga
Hip-hop; Israeli Folk Dance; Dance Conditioning; Classical Indian Dance
Maurice Brandon Curry / Eglevsky Ballet, New York City – Ballet, Pointe, Repertory
Brandi Coleman / Jazz Rhythm Jazz, Southern Methodist University TX – Jazz, Repertory
Tamara Begley / Louisville Ballet, Western Middle School for the Arts KY – Choreography, Improvisation
Gretchen Hurd / Morgantown Dance, Wesleyan College WV– Hip-hop
Yoav Kaddar – Modern, Israeli Folk Dance
Maureen Mansfield Kaddar – Modern, Yoga, Conditioning & Wellness
Katreena Snyder – Contemporary, Repertory
Hirali Shah – Classical Indian Dance
Matt Saffron – Tap
Sunday July 11:
10:00am - 1:00pm Arrival and check-in (Evansdale Res. Complex
/ Lincoln Hall)
1:30pm - 2:30pm Welcome BBQ (Parents/Family Welcome) CAC outdoors
2:40pm - 4:00pm Placement classes (CAC / Falbo Theatre, VDM and Clay Stage)
4:15pm - 5:30pm Repertory rehearsals (CAC / Falbo Theatre, VDM and Clay Stage)
5:45pm - 7:00pm Dinner (Towers cafeteria)
7:15pm - 8:30pm Social Activity (Dorms)
8:30pm - 9:30pm Free time (Lincoln Hall dorms)
Monday July 12 through Friday July 16:
7:00am – 7:30am Breakfast (Towers cafeteria) 8:00am – 12:15pm T echnique and repertory classes
12:15 – 1:45 Lunch and Free Time (Towers cafeteria and dorms)
2:00pm – 5:45pm Technique and Repertory Classes (CAC)
6:00pm – 7:00pm Dinner (Towers cafeteria)
7:15pm - 8:45pm Specialty classes and activities
Saturday July 17 : (All Saturday classes are open for observation)
7:30am – 9:00am Prep for check-out and breakfast
9:00am - 10:00am Technique/Warm up classes
10:15am – 11:30pm Technique/Warm up classes
11:30am – 12:00pm Prep for Showcase
12:00pm Showcase (Clay Theatre Stage)
1:00pm – 1:30pm Checkout of dorms and departure
Student Tuition* (for all classes & activities): $625.00
Registration fee: $50.00
*(No Registration Fee if registering by June 30th!)
Tuition and Registration after June 30th: $675.00
Full tuition will not be refundable after July 1st!
Room & Board
Full Room & Board (single occupancy WVU Resident Hall & full meal plan): $356.07*
Room only: $188.16*
Meals only: $175.86*
*All Room and Board fees are to be paid on arrival day at check-in. Do not call in or send room & board payment to the School of Theatre & Dance.
What to Bring
Ballet1. Tights- Skin-tone or black (Suitable for class & performance)
2. Leotards (Suitable for class & performance)
3. Wrap Skirt (mid-thigh or shorter/preferably chiffon or tricot) *Optional
4. Ballet shoes
5. Pointe shoes (must have previous pointe training)
Footless Tights, dance pants, or shorts (Suitable for class & performance)
2. Leotard, Tank, or full unitard, footless (Suitable for class & performance)
3. Bare Foot or socks (NO Modern scandals).
Tights, Leotards, or Full unitard, Jazz Pants (Suitable for class & performance)
2. Jazz shoes or Jazz sneakers
Tights, Leotards, Shorts, Jazz Wear (Suitable for class & performance)
2. Tap Shoes (Please make sure your shoes are in good condition, no exposed screws, etc.)
3. Screwdriver to maintain shoes
Yoga Yoga / exercise mat (please label mat with your name)
Student Showcase1. Costume or desired dance attire for the performance
2. Personal make-up kit and hair accessories
3. Device with uploaded music (to be sent to counselors at the camp)
Special (Recommended. Not required)
1. Thera-band/stretchy band for stretching and warm-up.
2. Your personal First Aid Kit and supplies for "tired feet" (a used tennis ball or massage tool)
3. Spiral or binder notebook (small enough to fit in dance bag) and pencil/pen.
4. Re-useable ice pack with your name on it.
5. Sharpie Marker to mark your personal items
1. Extra face masks
2. Personal hand sanitizer
Festival shirts will be on sale (see T-shirt order form. Advanced orders are recommended, as there will be a limited amount of shirt sizes on sale).
Medical Forms and Waivers
Note: The Eventbrite link above only includes a tuition payment. Room and board payment is separate and will be collected at the Lincoln Hall dorm lobby. See prices above.